According to the “Hong Kong Solid Waste Monitoring Report 2018” issued by the Environmental Protection Department, the average daily weight of PET beverage bottles (i.e., polyester fiber plastic bottle) discarded at landfills in Hong Kong amounted to 139 metric tons, which is a 28% increase from 2007. By counting with 26 grams net weight per plastic bottle, 5.35 million beverage plastic bottles are disposed to Hong Kong landfills every day, which is equivalent to about 7 double-decker buses in mass.
To encourage the public to recycle beverage plastic bottles properly, Swire Coca-Cola HK , Octopus Cards Limited and the World Green Organisation have jointly launched the “Tap, Return & Earn” Beverage Bottles Redemption Scheme in September 2019, which is the first-ever recycling scheme in Hong Kong that offers instant cash rebate via Octopus cards.
Under this scheme, Reverse Vending Machines are placed at different locations across Hong Kong. From June 2020 onwards for half a year, Swire Coca-Cola HK offers the following for every beverage bottle returned via the Reverse Vending Machines:
- HK$0.1 cash rebate via Octopus cards
- HK$0.1 donation for environmental protection education
Reverse Vending Machine locations
|District||Venue||Reverse Vending Machine location||Operation hours|
|Central and Western District||The Center||UG/F, The Centre, 99 Queen’s Road Central, Central||Mon-Sat 0600–2000
Close on Sun & PH
|Central and Western District||United Centre||1st floor adjacent to the escalator of North Hall of the United Centre|| 0700–2300 daily
|Eastern District||Taikoo Place||The Loop (G/F, Devon House)||Due to The Loop is undergoing renovation, RVM is suspended service from 31 Dec 2021 to 31 Jan 2022.|
|Kowloon Tong||Festival Walk||MTR Entrance, Level LG2||24 hours daily|
|Diamond Hill||Lung Poon Court||Covered corridor, Lung Chu House (Block C)||24 hours daily||Tsuen Wan||The Mills||M Floor||1000 -2200 daily|
|Sai Kung||TKO Plaza||M/F Escalator Lobby||1000 - 2200 daily|
|Tuen Mun||V City||G/F (G-12 opposite 7-Eleven)||1000 - 2200 daily|
|Yuen Long||YOHO Mall||Transport Interchange, G/F, YOHO MALL I, 9 Long Yat Road, Yuen Long, N.T. (Near Mall Entrance)||Placement and service have been suspended from 10 Jan 2022. Thank you!|
Reverse Vending Machine Promotion
World Green Organisation will conduct events at different venues to promote the Reverse Vending Machine and disseminate green information. (details to be announced)
How to use the Reverse Vending Machine
The Reverse Vending Machine is easy to use and only requires the following steps:
- Tap Octopus card to start
- Insert bottles
- Tap your Octopus card again to collect cash rebate
- Scan QR code to keep electronic receipt
Watch the following video to learn how to use it:
Points to note when using the machine:
- Plastic bottles must not contain liquid
- Plastic bottles must not be deformed or damaged
- The orginial labels and barcodes of the bottle must be kept
- The machine can collect beverage plastic bottles from 330 mL to 2L
- Each Octopus card can redeem rebates for a daily maximum of 10 bottles
- Please ensure that the Octopus card has sufficient capacity for the rebate
- Swire Coca-Cola HK reserves the right to take action against any offenders who redeem rebate with unqualified items
Submit new beverage plastic bottle barcode
Thank you for your support and use of the Reverse Vending Machine. If you need to submit a new beverage bottle barcode, please fill in the form below and upload a photo of the beverage bottle and the barcode to help us update the barcode database.
Frequently Asked Questions
Common beverage plastic bottles available in the market, regardless of brand, can be put into the Reverse Vending Machine.
The Reverse Vending Machine does not accept the following:
- Beverage plastic bottles with capacity exceeding 2L
- Beverage plastic bottles containing liquid
- Beverage plastic bottles that have no valid original barcode
- Beverage plastic bottles that are deformed/damaged
This scheme only accepts beverage plastic bottles. Items other than beverage plastic bottles cannot be processed by and may damage the machine.
There are many types of plastic bottles in the market. Although we are constantly updating our barcode database, there may still be some bottles that are not covered, especially non-local beverages or recently launched beverages.
If the Reverse Vending Machine cannot process your plastic bottles, please submit the plastic bottle barcode to us for updating our database:
- Please take 2 photos that clearly show the front packaging and the barcode of the bottle, and then email to RVM@swirecocacola.com, or provide relevant information through this page (please click here to submit a new barcode)
Once information is received, we will update the barcode database as soon as possible.
Please put the plastic bottles in the recycling bin near the machine, thank you for your support.
Each Octopus card can redeem rebates for a daily maximum of 10 bottles.
If you have any enquiries, please feel free to contact us by email at : RVM@swirecocacola.com.
You can also contact us through the form below. We will reply within 3 working days in general.